THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL PRO-METABOLIC TOPIC!!!!
PUFA’S are polyunsaturated fatty acids that can SUPPRESS THYROID GLAND FUNCTIONING on every level. The suppression drastically slows metabolic rate and brings fat loss to a screaming halt. PUFAs can lead to free radical damage, premature ageing and degenerative conditions.
All of our ProComp’s Pro-Metabolic Meal plans have been carefully constructed to avoid PUFA intake. This is to avoid the disastrous impact they have on metabolism, fat loss and health.
It is my personal opinion that the high intake of PUFA’s in today’s fitness diets are responsible for so much metabolic and hormonal damage.
WHAT EXACTLY ARE PUFA’S?
Polyunsaturated fatty acids are liquid oils. In chemical terms, this means that the fatty acids have more than one double bond in the carbon chain. They are unsaturated as they lack the hydrogen atoms that saturated fatty acids have. This makes the bond chemically incomplete. This incomplete bond results in the chain becoming unstable and prone degradation, oxidation and free radicals This is bad……very bad!!!
PUFAs are found in oily plants, nuts and seeds. They include sunflower oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, flaxseed oil, hemp seed oil, soybean oil, fish oil and in all nuts and seeds Although nuts, macadamia nuts contain the least amount of PUFAS. PUFAS can also be found in any animal protein that are feed grains containing PUFAs and this is why all ProComp plans recommend meat from grass fed produce rather than grain fed.
PUFA’s are also found in fatty fish swimming in icy cold artic waters such as Salmon, sardines and deep-sea fish. It is common belief that these fish must have higher levels of PUFA’s simply to avoid the from freezing into a solid in the artic environment.
It is important to note that studies have found that essential fatty acids found in avocados, nuts, seeds and salmon are essentially toxic in concentrated amounts in warm-blooded oxygen breathing non hibernating animals.
HOWW DO PUFAS IMPACT METABOLISM AND FAT BURNING
PUFA’s have a devastating effect on the body’s metabolism due to its direct interference with the functioning of the thyroid gland. Thyroid hormone is essential for a strong metabolism and the body’s production of energy. PUFA’s suppress thyroid functioning on just about every level. ProComp has gone to great lengths to ensure our Pro-Metabolic meal plans keep PUFA intake as low as possible.
What do PUFAS do???
- They bock the secretion of thyroid hormone from the thyroid gland.
- They block the transportation of the thyroid hormone within the bloodstream.
- They block cells from properly utilizing thyroid hormone once it has been received.
“A series of studies have all shown that the functions of the thyroid hormone are all inhibited by unsaturated fats. The inhibition increases in proportion to the number of unsaturation (double bonds) in the fat molecule.”DR RAY PEAT
PUFA’s are also highly associated with causing inflammation. This leads to a spike in counter-inflammatory stress hormone of cortisol known as the “belly fat” hormone. The fact that PUFA’s lead to the release of cortisol is a big deal.
“It’s significant because of all the factor that have been studied when trying to determine what causes leptin resistance. Leptin resistance is the hormonal state that makes your body think its starving. This keeps your metabolism subdued and results in the continuation of further fat storage even when there is more fat already. This closely ties into the counter-inflammatory substances and cortisol spikes caused by PUFA intake.MATT STONE…180 degree Health
WHAT ABOUT FISH OILS?
Again this is a very controversial topic. The benefits of fish oil supplementation are grossly overstated Most of the studies actually show the benefits of fish oil are short term, lasting less than one year.
HOW DO PUFA’S IMPACT HEALTH? – everyone seriously needs to read this.
- PUFAS suppress thyroid hormone production that down-regulated metabolism. It results in slower fat burning decreased protein synthesis and increased fat storage.
- Excess PUFA’s are linked to high levels of inflammation in the body. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26397837
- Most of the age spots found on our skin are a result of the decomposition of PUFA’s https://alituranaturals.com/the-worst-oils-for-your-skin-how-polyunsaturated-fats-age-skin/
- PUFA’s are yeast stimulants and harmful to gut bacteria and candida. https://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/09/07/candidiasis-myths/
- Oxidized PUFA’s lead to free radical damage which leads to premature aging, an increased risk of cancers and degenerative conditions. https://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fats-degeneration3.shtml
- PUFA’s interfere with insulin sensitivity. https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1002087
- Extensive studies have shown that high levels of PUFA’s lead to inflammation. This can lead to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, nervous system damage, impaired learning, impaired wound healing, liver damage, digestive disorders and damage to reproductive orders. https://criticalmas.org/2013/11/problem-pufa/
- PUFA’s become oxidised when exposed to heat, oxygen or moisture. They are then characterized as free radicals and attach cell membranes and red blood cells. This causes damage to DNA strands New research links free radical damage to premature aging https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-015-0537-7
WHAT DO WE RECOMMEND?
All of the ProComp meal plans are designed to increase metabolic rate, create optimal health and expedite fat burning. They are carefully constructed to be absent of dangerous PUFA’s. https://www.prometaboliclife.com/meal-plans/
- We encourage REAL natural food that do not contain artificial additives or high levels of concentrated fats. This can become confusing as many “healthy” food are loaded in PUFA’s are labelled “heart healthy” or “muscle building”. Protein bars protein shakes are a good example of this.
- When cooking, only cook in healthy saturated cooking fats such as coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil or natural butter churned only from grass fed cows.
- Avoid muscle meat that is factory farmed or fed on cheap fattening grains or seeds. Grass fed meat and organic food really are worth the extra dollars. Making the wrong choice is simply transferring he harmful components directly from the food source to your body.
- Finally, avoid all processed foods containing hydrogenated fats and polyunsaturated oil
- ProComp also follows Dr Ray Peat’s nutrition advise and supports adding a healthy dose of coconut oil to your daily diet. This is an excellent way to combat the effects of leftover PUFA’s still in your cells.
If you feel PUFAs are destroying your metabolism and health I have no doubt you would benefit from one of our PROCOMP DOWNLOADABE PRO-METABOLIC MEAL PLANS OR even contact us for a personalised nutrition plan based on your specific needs, goals, lifestyle, health issues, likes and dislikes.
This is serious stuff and can be a total game changer to helping you create a great looking healthy body.