After decades of being super busy, constantly dieting and eating low carbs, I didn’t even notice when my body starting telling me that my metabolism was slowing
I WAS SO DESPERATE TO LOSE WEIGHT THAT I IGNORED MY BODY’S CUES FOR ATTENTION
- I ignored my sugar cravings
- I didn’t understand why I would eat when I wasn’t hungry,
- I pushed on when I was exhausted
- I didn’t wonder why I was feeling constantly down and blue,
- I didn’t notice my body’s low temperatures or cold hands,
- I paid no attention to how stress was impacting me,
- Or how my emotions drove my decision making
- I never reflected upon my moods,
- Or questioned why I was bloating, or my periods were out of sync
- Or wondered why my weight loss was slow or at times totally stopped
- I didn’t ponder why I couldn’t sleep properly or why I felt constantly tired.
I dieted and prepped for shows but never paid enough attention to know my body was stressed, my hormones out of kilter, my metabolism shot and I was in a nutritional debt.
- I just pushed on,
- I didn’t ask questions,
- I didn’t think for myself,
- I disconnected from all my internal messages,
- I didn’t listen to my body,
- I lost touch of my own intuition,
- I got more exhausted,
- I become more out of balance and
- more unhappy and even put on weight.
I wanted to get lean at any cost. The cost to my health, my emotional wellbeing, my energy my relationships, my hormones and my metabolism. I was so out of touch that I was doing the very things that were working against what I was trying to achieve.
No one has a body that can thrive without adequate nutrition or rest
I spent years punishing my body not loving it.
Stressing it not supporting it.
Depriving it not nurturing it.
Ignoring it, not listening to it,
Running it on empty, not fuelling it,
And all along it was giving me huge clues that I was in a nutritional debt.
Weight gain, muscle loss, bloating, digestive issues, fatigue, PMS, cravings, bloating, bingeing, sleep issues, hair loss, weight loss plateaus are all signals that your metabolism may be slowing down and your body is letting you know you need to do something about it.
SO WHEN I STARTED PAYING ATTENTION……
HOW DID I REPAIR MY METABOLISM
- I treated my nutrition seriously – as food really is medicine
- I started to prioritise self-care, to nourish and nurture myself.
- I ate more and ate when I was hungry.
- I ate more natural sugars
- I ate more nutrient dense food.
- I ate Pro-Thyroid food
- I cut out as much PUFA’s as I could,
- I worked to repair my metabolism,
- Eating quality protein, bone broths and gelatin
- I cooked in coconut oil
- I salted my meals
- I stopped doing exhausting cardio.
- I added back dairy, fruits, butter and potato.
- I reintroduced dairy
- I relearned what I thought was true about food and exercise
- I had more down time.
- I threw away my chemically laden skin care products
- I listened to what I was craving and ate that
- I rested when I needed rest
- I worked really hard on my thinking and mind-sets
- I started to prioritise and care for me.
Your body is always sending you feedback—so tune in, start listening and start caring for yourself.
I’d love you to read my blogs to learn more about Pro-Metabolic Nutrition, what the signals are to look for, and how to repair metabolism.
I have also created a number of Pro-Metabolic Meal Plan Programs with some marvellous notes so you can learn about what food and lifestyle factors will improve your metabolism, heath, energy and fat loss too.