Could coconut oil may actually be the elixir of life, energy and FAT LOSS?
Coconut oil has highly saturated AND has nearly no polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs). Those following Ray Peat’s research and ProComp’s Pro-Metabolic Nutritional framework would know that PUFA’s down-regulate thyroid gland functioning on many levels.
Coconut Oil is included in all of the ProComp Pro-Metabolic Nutrition plans. It has positive effects it on fat loss, energy, preventing oxidative damage, improving thyroid gland health and hormonal balance.
SOME FASCINATING FACTS ABOUT COCONUT OIL, FAT LOSS AND ENERGY.
- COCONUT OIL has been found to support thyroid gland functioning by allowing more thyroid hormone to be secreted. This increases metabolic rate and fat burning.
- Coconut oil contains ketones that can be burned in place of sugar. It therefore provides IMMEDIATE ENERGY. The body responds with increased energy as if carbs have been consumed. This does not cause an insulin response or impact blood sugar levels. Coconut oil goes straight to the liver and does not get stored as fat like other fats.
- Consuming coconut oil can DECREASE APPETITE, which is super helpful when dieting. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8696422
- Populations that eat a lot of coconut oil are very healthy. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7270479.
- Coconut oil has antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial qualities. It can also act as an antioxidant protecting cells from free radical damage. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651080.
- Coconut oil is different to all other fats as it contains medium chain triglycerides. MCT’s have incredible health benefits and they also increase moisture of the skin and improve brain function as we age. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15724344) (https://nyaspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/nyas.12999
- Coconut oil is more effective for fat loss than any other fat. We add this simple addition to a solid Pro-Metabolic diet of fruit, dairy and quality protein and it helps TO SUPPORT FAT LOSS in those we work with.
WHATS SO BAD ABOUT PUFA’S (Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids)?
Unsaturated fats found in vegetable oils or PUFAS easily oxidise when heated. They do this due to their unstable chemical structure. This can result in cellular damage and alter metabolism.
PUFA’s suppress thyroid hormone conversion in the liver as well as increasing reverse T3 production.
Saturated fats, like coconut oil are extremely stable and do not oxidize.
So…by simply eating coconut oil instead of PUFA’s, your body is protected from accelerated aging and oxidative damage minimises.
I get asked a lot if eating more coconut oil will impact heart diseases. There is a significant amount of research supporting how coconut oil protects against heart disease and increases metabolic rate. This improves fat burning.
Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) in aging and arteriosclerosis.
The Demographic Yearbook of the United Nations (1978) reported that Sri Lanka has the lowest death rate from ischemic heart disease. Sri Lanka is the only of the countries giving reliable data where coconut oil (containing over 50% medium chain fatty acids) is the main dietary fat.
WHY YOU NEED COCONUT OIL FOR THYROID HEALTH, METABOLISM AND TO SPEED UP FAT LOSS.
Coconut oil protects your body from external factors that can suppress thyroid gland functioning. Optimal thyroid gland conversion is essential if fat loss is slow or non-existent due to a sluggish metabolic rate.
SO HOW DOES COCONUT OIL IMPROVES THYROID GLAND FUNCTION?
- Coconut oil helps the body replace harmful PUFAs. PUFAs suppress thyroid gland functioning. The ratio of saturated fats to unsaturated fats is improved by simply adding more coconut oil.
- Coconut oil helps regulate blood sugar and stress hormones. This is also essential for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. Producing too much cortisol and stress hormones can make fat loss very difficult.
AT KIND OF COCONUT OIL DOES PROCOMP RECOMMEND?
As coconut oil has become more popular, it is being produced with chemical processing that often negates the benefits you would have received from the coconut
We generally recommend unrefined virgin coconut oil. Refined oils go through many levels of processing including being deodorized and bleached. But for some unrefined can still irritate the digestive tract and therefore increase estrogen and cortisol production. In these circumstances a properly refined (expeller pressed) coconut oil can be a better option. Expeller pressed doesn’t smell or taste like coconut oil. This appeals to many.
HOW DO WE USE COCONUT OIL?
We measure coconut oil like any other nutrient and how much is consumed depends upon goals and progress. But generally I use 2 teaspoons to cook my fish, I drizzle 1 tbs coconut oil over my grated carrot salad and I add 1 tablespoon to my eggnog or homemade protein smoothie. It’s an integral ingredient in all of ProComp’s Pro-Metabolic meal plan programs.