The effects of high stress hormones can play havoc for health and longevity. It is also the hormone most often linked to the accumulation of belly fat.
Cortisol can create a host of pathological conditions in the body and it is the hormone most often linked to fat deposits in the face, neck and belly.
As a coach and athlete, I know it is often very difficult to achieve a lean physique if stress levels are high.
Often, stress is cumulative and comes from a variety of sources. These sources include:
– Not enough sunlight.
– Diets high in processed foods.
– Not enough sleep.
– Chemicals in personal care products.
– Toxic relationships.
– Financial stress.
– Busy lifestyle with no balance.
– Low carb diets.
– Diets high in muscle meats.
– Too much cardio.
…And the list goes on.
YES…. SUGAR CAN HELP REDUCE CORTISOL.
This also can be an explanation for craving sweet foods when feeling stressed.
“Sucrose consumption can help lower ACTH, the main pituitary stress hormone.”
This means that quality sugars such as ripe fruit, raw honey and pulp free orange juice can be helpful in reducing the fat storing hormone cortisol.http://www.functionalps.com/…/sugar-sucrose-restrains-the-…/
“In monkeys living in the wild, when their diet is mainly fruit, their cortisol is low and it rises when they eat a diet with less sugar.”https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20166191
NATURAL SUGARS CAN HELP PREVENT BELLY FAT.
– this study shows the addition of natural sugars can help to increases energy and health but is unlikely to cause weight gain.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15959424
– this study links natural sugars to Improved metabolism (fat loss favours a fast metabolism). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16732081
– Natural sugars can help reduce the stress hormone cortisol. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12828189
– Finally, resesrch shows that quality sugars are unlikely to result in fat gain. http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com.au/…/is-sugar-fatteni….
THE TAKE HOME
The RIGHT sugars like ripe fruits, raw honey and dairy products, in the RIGHT combinations, can help lower cortisol. Sugar can help support the production of the active thyroid hormones T3 (metabolism) and can also be a support in preventing the high stressed state that may result in belly fat.
I eat a simple sugar, combined with a protein and fat with every meal.
My favourite combinations are eggs and orange juice, yoghurt and honey and prawns, coconut oil and fruit.
ONE-OFF PERSONALISED NUTRITION PLANS.
PM me or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
📚 PRO-METABOLIC MEAL PLANS – downloadable E-book.
📚 PROCOMP’S PRO-METABOLIC NUTRITION SYSTEM E-BOOK – $19.95 (understanding how nutrition and lifestyle can impact metabolism, hormones and fat loss – includes sample meal plans. written by both Blair and I).
📚 100 PROCOMP CONTEST PREP SECRETS information for competitors about dieting, metabolism, and hormones etc. $24.95 (written by both Blair and I).